The Federal Aviation Administration now requires that: 


“All recreational flyers must pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test and provide proof of test passage (the TRUST completion certificate) to the FAA or law enforcement upon request.”


What is a recreational flyer?

A recreational flyer is someone who operates their drone for fun or personal enjoyment purposes only.

What is TRUST?

TRUST is The Recreational UAS Safety Test. It provides education and testing for recreational flyers on important safety and regulatory information. In order to fly your drone recreationally, under the Exception for Recreational Flyers, you must pass the test before you fly.

How can I take the TRUST?

Learn More here -

Do I need to register my drone?

  • All drones must be registered, except those that weigh 0.55 pounds or less (less than 250 grams) and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers.
  • Drones registered under part 107 may be flown for recreational purposes as well as under part 107.
  • Drones registered under the Exception for Recreational Flyers cannot be flown for Part 107 operations.

How can I register my drone?

What are the Rules for Recreational Flyers?

The Exception for Limited Operation of Unmanned Aircraft (USC 44809) is the law that describes how, when, and where you can fly drones for recreational purposes. Following these rules will keep people, your drone and our airspace safe:

  • Fly only for recreational purposes (enjoyment).
  • Follow the safety guidelines of an FAA-recognized Community Based Organization (CBO). Note: We have not yet begun officially recognizing CBOs. Recreational flyers are directed to follow the safety guidelines of existing aeromodeling organizations or use the FAA provided safety guidelines per Advisory Circular 91-57B.
  • Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you.
  • Give way to and do not interfere with manned aircraft.
  • Fly at or below 400' in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D and E) only with prior authorization by using LAANC or DroneZone.
  • Fly at or below 400 feet in Class G (uncontrolled) airspace.
  • Take The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) and carry proof of test passage.
  • Have a current registration, mark your drones on the outside with the registration number and carry proof of registration with you.
  • Do not operate your drone in a dangerous manner. For example:
  • Do not interfere with emergency response or law enforcement activities.
  • Do not fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Aerial View of a Drone